[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Do Skin Creams Really Work?
How to remain youthful is big business; there are thousands of high street products and even thought processes which are touted as “the” way to keep both your body and mind in tip top condition but are they really worth it? The attraction of many of these products is the shortcut factor…this is what sways people to buy expensive creams and potions which assure the public that the very essence of youth is contained therein. But is it really that easy? The simple answer to that question is…no.
Hard Work Pays Off
In order to remain fit, strong and mentally active, people have to put in some work! The body is like a machine…it needs maintenance, it needs regular running and it needs good quality fuel. Without these things it will grow rusty, seize up and eventually break beyond repair.
Here are your top tips for staying fit and young and fighting the ageing process!
- I think therefore I am: By thinking we don’t mean sitting and cogitating or remembering past days when your youth was something you took for granted! We mean nurturing your brain. Doing crosswords, learning new languages or skills and generally keeping your brain active. Studies have shown that in patients suffering from Alzheimer’s, there is immediate improvement in symptoms when the patient is mentally challenged on a regular basis. The brain needs fodder to stay healthy so don’t fall into the trap of failing to challenge it!
- Food for thought: The importance of eating a healthy diet cannot be overestimated in the battle against ageing. A good, well balanced diet consists of plenty of water…around 8 glasses of it per day and a sensible balance of protein, grains, fruits and vegetables. An adult should receive no more than 30-35% of their daily calories from fat…so that means watching your consumption of dairy produce as well as sweets, cakes and other fatty snacks. You should aim to eat at least 5 pieces of fruit/vegetables per day…the more the better! Green leafy veg like Kale is not only cheap but also full of essential vitamins and minerals so try to include it even if it’s not your favourite! Remember also that certain oils are essential for your bodies well being and if you doubt that you eat enough oily fish, take a supplement but speak to your doctor first!
- Let’s get physical: Exercise is something that many people dread…for no good reason! Even if you are currently overweight, there is no reason why you cannot find a suitable form of exercise and beginning to make those changes which you want to make. Gentle walks, cycle rides and swimming are great places to start. For those who are not very mobile, there are plenty of exercise classes designed for limited mobility…what about starting a “walking football” group? This is great fun for older men and as well as being good for your body, regular exercise keeps your brain ticking over too!
- Antioxidants: The evidence is there for all to see regarding antioxidants and the part they can play in fighting the signs of ageing. Antioxidants are found in dark coloured veg and fruit such as beetroot, carrots, spinach, blueberries and tomatoes. The antioxidants in these have the power to destroy “free radicals” which are what cause the ageing process. Get some of these into your diet and on a daily basis too. If you don’t have time to prepare and eat them, make a smoothie and begin to fight that battle!
- Sweet dreams: If you are getting less than 6 hours sleep per night, then your chances of a heart attack or stroke are greatly increased. Look at the reasons behind your lack of rest and make some changes. Many people suffer from insomnia due to the fact that they can’t “switch off”…learn to switch off by helping yourself to relax. Cut out caffeine after 6.00pm and don’t eat anything spicy or heavy either…try a yoga or meditation class too…this can be a great way of helping the mind to stop ticking over when it’s time to rest!
- Skin deep: A lot of problems in older skin are down to simple issues; the sun and diet. If you can fix your diet then you can also fix your skin issues and even more especially if you begin to protect your skin from the sun. Wear sun block and don’t forget a hat!
All of these changes do take some effort but If you instigate a regime of gentle exercise, a healthy diet and some challenging new projects and stick with them then you will notice a difference.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]