Acne is a skin condition which can cause real misery for those who suffer from it. Although there are varying degrees of severity ranging from a few minor but regular breakouts to extremely sore and raised pustules which can affect the life of the sufferer in the extreme.
The good news is that for those who have not tried herbal or natural treatments, there are a number of weird and wonderful acne treatments which are both effective and affordable.
- Burdock Root: Burdock root is noted for its prebiotic properties which are effective in stimulating the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut. Although scientists are yet to make the connections official there is growing evidence that this root can improve the appearance of acne prone skin.
- Garlic: Not just good for scaring off vampires, this antioxidant rich bulb is also great at fighting infection and boosting the immune system. Because of its bacteria fighting properties it is a good practice to apply it directly to sore pimples and pustules.
- Turmeric: This powerful spice is known to be one of the most potent anti inflammatory substances out there. Apply it directly to your problem areas by mixing it with milk which also has anti bacterial and calming properties; leave it to sit on the skin for up to 15 minutes and rinse well.
- Aloe Vera: This plant derivative is excellent for burns, swellings and of course…acne! Apply topically to reduce redness and swelling of pimples.
- Marshmallow: Not the soft, pink candy but the root of the Marshmallow plant! This root has amazingly beneficial properties in reducing swelling and redness. It is full of tannins and a substance called mucilage…both of which work together to improve the skin’s texture. Take it internally or apply topically.
- Papaya: This tasty fruit is full of vitamin A and vitamin B both of which have anti inflammatory properties and you can simply add it to your diet to help cure your acne from the inside.
- Banana Peel: Eat the banana and then use its skin to help your skin! Bananas are full of iron, potassium and zinc…all of which are excellent for skin but the peel has its uses too! Place a section of the skin on your face for around 20 minutes and then wash.
- Rice Powder: Rice powder has been used in the Far East for centuries as an exfoliant. It is pure and gently abrasive as well as being full of vitamins.
- Apricot: Another tasty cure, apricots are also excellent for gut health and research is increasingly pointing to the gut in the search for acne causes.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is well known for its anti inflammatory properties but it has recently been found that it improves asthma such is its power. You can take it internally or apply it topically.
- Potato: The humble spud is choc full of amazingly powerful ingredients including phosphorus, chloride and sulphur. Slice a potato thinly and apply the slices to your most affected areas; relax and leave in place for 20 minutes before washing off and observing the improvements.
- Gum Guggul: This unusually titled “cure” has been found to effect improvements in 68% of people who take it in an effort to cure their acne.
If you feel that you’ve tried everything and want to attempt a natural treatment for your acne, it makes sense to try some of these unusual and effective treatments. Don’t try them all at once, but give time to one and then later another…in this way you will be able to mark and note the effects of each treatment and work out which works best for you and your skin.